Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

looking up & out

I was having a conversation with a friend today, and we were discussing how each of us are fairly observant people.  Perhaps it's the sociologist in me, but I'm always taking note of those around me, their behavior, and my surroundings.  We were discussing how we each have good friends that aren't as observant, but appreciate the little things we bring to their attention.  This all got me thinking later...

If you're not being observant, are you truly able to grasp your relationship with the world around you?

I've read that when most people walk, they usually walk with their eyes down and keep their line of vision about 10 feet in front of them.  So most people walk with an awareness bubble that has a 10 ft radius unless something happens to pull you out of that bubble (i.e. a person shouting to you across the street, a car honking it's horn, etc.).  However if you change your sight line to the horizon, your entire perception of life changes... how you perceive the people and things around you, how you perceive yourself-- who you are changes

I think changing your sight line to the horizon can and will make you more observant.  There are probably  more ways to connect with the world beyond yourself, but I suppose you need to start by actually seeing it in order to eventually connect to it.    There must certainly be other ways of becoming more observant and widening your view. Something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment