Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

rhythm

Our lives move to a Rhythm-- something so big and beyond us that moves us through life.  When we dance to music, rhythm literally moves us.  Rhythm also can easily be found throughout nature.  There is the rising and setting of the sun, the seasons, a heartbeat, life and death, the waves and tides of the ocean, and so on.  I think rhythm is so much more than music, dance, and nature's cycles.  It's difficult to put rhythm into words, because it's simply felt.  You don't think about rhythm.  People who are 'bad dancers' aren't good dancers because they are over-thinking dancing.  You just feel it and dancing happens.

Rhythm is something you just fall in tune with.  I believe that we can live our lives that way too.  We can come in tune with Life.  There isn't a recipe for it.  It's unique for every person, but when you find it, you just know.  Some cultures have found Rhythm more easily than others (see video below), and I think there are a variety of reasons for that.  However the most important thing is that it can be found, so we should try to look for it.

In order to dance to Life, you must first feel the Rhythm...


 Foli: There Is No Movement Without Rhythm

2 comments:

  1. I can't quite put my word on it, or explain it away with a verbal description, but I've always taken a strong liking to percussion. Deep bass. Maybe it's the possibility of resonance with your heartbeat, maybe it's the mini-shock-waves that permeate through your body; whatever it is, I like it. Nay, I love it. Rhythm, whether through the left hand of a piano solo, the drums of an acoustic ensemble, or the swaying lines of a dancer, moves me.
    www.scheidtster.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Scheidtster, I know what you mean. I feel the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete