Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

communication these days

Recently I listened to an NPR piece that was talking about communication.  These days there are so many ways to communicate (i.e. e-mail, blogs, social networks, cell phones, snail mail, etc.) that we often don't even realize that we're connecting long distance.  With the ease and access of technology, we can communicate really whenever and wherever we want.  We can carry cell phones anywhere, access our e-mail while walking down the street, or send texts all over the world.

At this point "it's so easy to communicate, there's no reason to communicate anything of interest" (Ted Widmer). I heard this and instantly thought of status updates where people feel the need to let the world know they are brushing their teeth and watching the 567th episode of Grey's Anatomy or whatever it is at the moment.  Widmer even goes on to say that as he sits on the subway he hears people's cell phone conversations that consist of 'Hello. I'm here.  I'll be home at 5:19 instead of 5:18.'  It's the most mundane stuff.  Really.

Back when America was being forged, all people had were letters to communicate over long distance and there was no guarantee your letter would make it.  People took time and made an effort to make sure that what they were communicating was quality.  This really got me thinking and led me to ask myself, am I communicating things of quality and depth?  Am I communicating things that are relevant to others?  Would I want to hear/read what I have to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment