Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

trusting anyway

H and I had a conversation the other day about how as people get older and gain more life experiences, there's much more opportunity to get heart broken, be hurt, become resentful, distrustful, cynical, etc.  As we get older, we become more sullied by life.

H asked me  how I have been able to push past all the hurt I've experienced in my own life.  Scars have been made, and I've been left wondering at times how to trust myself and others.  Why not cloister myself away in a safe place?  I can work to keep myself from getting hurt again.

But my answer to her was this... As humans, we are really left with no choice.  We have to trust ourselves.  We have to trust others.  The reality is that we may get hurt again (and most likely we will, as loss and hurt come with love), but cloistering ourselves away to a safe and protected place only cuts ourself off from the world.  It is a suicide of the soul.  If we do not choose love and trust, what is left?

No comments:

Post a Comment