Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

touch

It's such an intricate part of intimacy. H said once that [American] adults usually only get touched in romantic or sexual ways, so they associate being touched with sexuality.  But that's not all that touch is.  I know that many other cultures handle touch differently (i.e. holding hands as friends is acceptable).  For now, I'm just pondering Americans and the other folks from the developed world and how they view touch.  Americans tend to be very individualistic, and they view themselves as having their own bubble within which they move about the world.  They also don't often like it if people encroach on their bubble uninvited. 

Every human being craves touch.  Babies die with out it.  People harden when they're left untouched.  We have gotten confused-- touching is not always sexual.  Somehow we have hidden, lost, and/or muddled that desire for touch.  It's almost as if we've isolated ourselves in our individualistic bubbles.  The thought of a lot of 'friendly' contact scares us, and we shy away from it.

What have we come to?
How have we gotten so mixed up with this particular human need and desire?


-------------------------

touch.
one touch can be magic.
like a tiny spark in the dark.
a rush of warmth to a cold soul.
within touch is every word in silence.
it brings us a hope that shimmers below the surface.
touch calls us to something deeper.
beyond what we can see.
touch is love.

love is touching.
love is touching.

love is when two people--two spirits-- touch each other.
when four eyes meet...
when two hearts connect...
when two minds collide...
when two hands grasp each other...
when ten fingers lock...
when two people physically connect...
when conversation warms your soul...

love is touching.

2 comments:

  1. I've thought about this often while in Morocco. I was so uncomfortable, at first, having girlfriends take my hand or wrap their arms around my waist. Two years in, I feel much more comfortable with it. This is delicately and wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. There are times here when I'm still uncomfortable with it. It's almost as if I like to reserve 'my touch' for people that I feel safe and seen with. It's not something that I just hand out freely. But I'm glad you liked the post. Your compliments mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete